RL02 version of UNIX6?

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 14:25:03 CST 2017

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 2:31 PM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:

> > On Feb 3, 2017, at 12:00 PM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
> wrote:
> >
> >> From: Paul Koning
> >
> >> Another OS that would run on your machine (as well as an 11/20) would
> >> be RSTS-11 (V4, or I suppose V3 if you can find that)
> >
> > I'd love to have an old RSTS-11, is there any variant around?
>
> Yes, on bitsavers.  But John's comment reminds me that RSTS-11 V4A doesn't
> support RL02.  (Only RF11, RK11, RP11.)  V4B may be different, I don't know.
>
> >> didn't use the MMU
> >
> > Huh? He's got an MMU (I think): it's the EIS he's currently struggling
> with.
>
> True.  I meant to point out the main difference between RSTS-11 and
> RSTS/E.  The other difference is that it doesn't require EIS.  Both follow
> from the fact it was designed for the 11/20.
>
>         paul

So you're saying for a system with a MMU but no working EIS (removed for
now) and 64KW RAM (half populated M7891) you're suggesting which OS?  I
still have to research the best options, RSX-11M?

I was able to get the extended three cables so I can put the M7238 EIS card
on a riser so I can probe for faults, and maybe if I am lucky boot XXDP+.
With the EIN installed I can't boot RT-11