Yale renames Calhoun College for Grace Hopper

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 07:33:09 CST 2017

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 11:46 PM, Fred Cisin <cisin at xenosoft.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Feb 2017, Ken Seefried wrote:
>
>> I'd be fascinated at a justification for this opinion that squared
>> with "John C. Calhoun’s legacy as a white supremacist and a national
>> leader who passionately promoted slavery as a ‘positive good’".
>>

> And, once he graduated from Yale in 1804, he turned his back on the
> college, with no further significant involvement, and didn't give them
> money!
>
> famous alum, before Yale had any other famous alums.
>

> I'd say that Grace Hopper had a better legacy.

Grace Hopper checks all the boxes of an acceptable historical figure,
today...100 years from now in the midst of an "anti technology" movement
students will vote to replace Hopper with someone more acceptable for that
time.  She'd be the poster child villain of say an anti tech movement (like
the late 60's anti-tech movement).   Live by the sword die by the sword.

(Revolutionary Force Bombs IBM Office ... Computerword March 18, 1970)

Bill