New batch of pdp8 OMNIBUS to USB interface! Please Read and react!

Kyle Owen kylevowen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 10:21:22 CST 2017

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 10:01 AM, Philipp Hachtmann <hachti at hachti.de>
wrote:

> Why should I? If you look at the board's size you probably see that it
> cannot be made using the free version. I own a paid Eagle 7 license. Why
> should I throw that away? Started to use Eagle as a child. Have my own
> libraries and footprints. Got used to the odds. And I won't use that KiCAD
> thing. It smells too much like dumb Arduino folks. And I do not want to
> share to much with that community.
> I am an engineer and no Arduino fool... Even if KiCAD was a really great
> program, it would still have the smell of the copy-and-paste-maker-arduino-b
> linky-blinky-community.
>
> Sorry for the rant but....  Arduino is just fubar..
>
> If I would migrate to another EDA tool, I would probably migrate up to
> something more elaborated than Eagle or KiCAD :-)

KiCad has no affiliation to Arduino; in fact, it's being heavily maintained
by CERN. I don't suppose you've had a need to being an Eagle guy, but have
you tried out KiCad before? With the licensing model Eagle has just moved
to, alternatives like KiCad sure seem attractive.

Why are you bent out of shape over the Arduino community? It seems clear to
me that teenagers growing up with them will outgrow the language and
hardware limitations and move onto more advanced things before starting
their careers. I think one could make a decent analogy to BASIC on many
8-bit microcomputers from decades past.

Kyle