New batch of pdp8 OMNIBUS to USB interface! Please Read and react!

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Fri Feb 17 19:50:50 CST 2017

On 02/17/2017 01:35 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>      > From: Jon Elson
>

>      > I'm most concerned about the reliability of the design rules check
>      > ...
>      > If these checks miss errors, I REALLY don't want to use the package.
>
> I'm not quite sure what's covered here, but I have used the checker on my
> admittedly-tiny projects, and been happy with it.
>
>      > and layout vs. schematic.
>
> Again, Dave has used it to lay out at least one moderately-sized card, and
> seems to have been happy with the results.
I do some 4-layer and 6-layer boards, where the possibility
for things to get shorted together multiply,
and it is easy to overlook it when manually checking.  I
can't say about KiCad as I have not done anything over 2
layers with it.

>      > (KiCad seems to still require picking operations from a menu, Protel
>      > has user-configurable keyboard shortcuts that are a big help. Maybe
>      > KiCad has that and I just need to learn them.)
>
> KiCAD does have keyboard shortcuts. I don't know if they are configurable.
EVERYTHING on Protel is configurable, you can add items to
the menus, create the picture for the menu item, etc.

As for libraries, I really don't trust ANYBODY else's
library parts, at least until I've checked them.  Protel's
are actually pretty bad, by the way, so most of them are now
MY parts, not theirs.

Jon