New batch of pdp8 OMNIBUS to USB interface! Please Read and react!

Holm Tiffe holm at freibergnet.de
Sun Feb 19 05:15:31 CST 2017

Philipp Hachtmann wrote:

> On 17.02.2017 17:21, Kyle Owen wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 10:01 AM, Philipp Hachtmann <hachti at hachti.de>
>
> > KiCad has no affiliation to Arduino; in fact, it's being heavily maintained
> > by CERN.
> But wherever I (!) look, in my part of the universe, a strongly biased
> and personal view, I see only those Arduino folks using it.
> Might be different in other places, but...
>
> > With the licensing model Eagle has just moved
> > to, alternatives like KiCad sure seem attractive.
> The new Eagle license model is a mess. I will stick to my Eagle 7. The
> idea of my little board designs being held hostage by a company
> somewhere is not good.
> And when the day has come that I can't go with the then old Eagle
> anymore and the licensing has not been repaired, then I will think about
> alternatives. Perhaps then KiCAD has already changed into the greatest
> EDA tool ever made.

Simply take a look now and then ..to adjust your point of view.

> > Why are you bent out of shape over the Arduino community? It seems clear to
> > me that teenagers growing up with them will outgrow the language and
> > hardware limitations and move onto more advanced things before starting
> > their careers. I think one could make a decent analogy to BASIC on many
> > 8-bit microcomputers from decades past.
>
> Easy: If I had the impression that it is like you write, I'd be totally
> fine with it!
> But back in those days with BASIC it was easier to take the next step.
> If you want to go further beyond Arduino, you will have to instantly
> understand a huge amount of stuff.
> In my opinion the learning step from using a fancy Arduino library to
> understanding/modifying/writing another is too big.
> In BASIC it started with little things like peek and poke.
> There was no hidden C++ :-)

Agreed.
I'm used some of the "shields" for aruinos from time to time, but I
never used that arduino software for it. Ok, sometimes it is neccesary
to look into a library to finally find out how the hardware is to be
programmed..but I always wrote the code of my own. At least the masses
of arduino related stuff drops the prices for interresting hardware stuff
to play with.

Regards,

Holm

info at tsht.de Fax +49 3731 74200 Tel +49 3731 74222 Mobil: 0172 8790 741