Unknown 8085 opcodes

dwight dkelvey at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 11 12:48:23 CST 2017

I always go through the code and put a extra return after

each unconditional jump or return.

My disassemblers always make a list and count of addresses accessed

by any non-indirect reference. If I see a blank line in the code,

without any references, I get suspicious.

How can the code execute this location if it is never referenced??

I can then tell my assembler to treat that location differently.

I can tell it it is a DB field for instance.

I then rerun the disassembler again to see if it cleans things up.

It usually takes several passes to get things straightened out.

Any disassembler, worth playing with, has such directives.

As was mentioned, the disassembler has no way of knowing what

the bytes are there for. Say the code did some type of indirect

access into the table based on some value passed through a serial

port ( where 35-94 are the only valid values ). How would you expect the

disassembler to figure that out.

 I was disassembling 4004 code a while back. I came on a number

of illegal operations( using my disassembler ).

It turned out that it was the use of an instruction that was unusual.

It was the conditional jump. If it had no condition, it would always

skip over the address ( next byte ) and not jump.

It was used as a SKIP instruction. It would allow a single byte to be

executed at the entry to a common routine. The address field was

an instruction for a different entry point, into the routine.

I added the SKIP to my disassembler [?]

Dwight