IBM 7074 and then some: "Systems we love" conference

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Jan 23 13:16:02 CST 2017

On 01/23/2017 11:00 AM, Steven Maresca wrote:
> Just wanted to share an excerpted story just sent to me by a
> colleague, regarding an IBM 7074 supplying data to Java middleware,
> ultimately feeding a modern webapp stack:
> http://thenewstack.io/happens-use-java-1960-ibm-mainframe/

The 7074 was referred to as a "supercomputer".  Can any decimal machine
really bear that title?

The USAF used 7080s well into the 1980s--another decimal system.  One of
the the reasons for doing so was a system implemented in 7080 COBOL with
miles and miles of undocumented Autocoder patches.    No one person had
a full grasp of the resulting system and its nuances.

--Chuck