IBM 7074 and then some: "Systems we love" conference

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Mon Jan 23 19:45:23 CST 2017

On 01/23/2017 01:00 PM, Steven Maresca wrote:
> Just wanted to share an excerpted story just sent to me by a colleague,
> regarding an IBM 7074 supplying data to Java middleware, ultimately feeding
> a modern webapp stack:
> http://thenewstack.io/happens-use-java-1960-ibm-mainframe/
>
> This comes from a conference which occurred last month titled "Systems we
> love" :
> http://thenewstack.io/systems-we-love/
> http://systemswe.love/
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

WOW!!!!  That is QUITE amazing!  And, I can't possibly
imagine why anyone in their right mind would do this!
Seems an emulator on a PC would be faster, and way more
reliable, not to mention taking up MUCH less space,
power and cooling.  How reliable can a 60 year old machine
possibly be?  Where do you get parts?  There have to be a
whole lot of special parts that are deteriorating, like the
plastic parts on the console.  Even the PC boards (IBM SMS
cards) are pretty fragile, easily damaged during rework, and
some of them dissipate a lot of power, causing slow thermal
degradation.

Are we SURE this isn't a preview of the April 1st edition?

Jon