IBM 7074 and then some: "Systems we love" conference

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 16:07:16 CST 2017

On Jan 24, 2017 7:57 PM, "Chuck Guzis" <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:
> The 7070 was very early (1958) and is probably the first (or close to
> the first) IBM transistorized computer.

The 7070 was announced in Sept. 1958, but did not ship until April 1960.

The first IBM computing device to use transistors and no vacuum tubes was
the 608 calculator, shipped in December 1957.  IBM's first transistorized
computers were the 7090 (36-bit scientific, transistorized version of 709)
shipped in November 1959, and the 1401, shipped in early 1960, before the
7070.

Source: _IBM's Early Computers_, Bashe, Johnson, Palmer, and Pugh, 1986,
MIT Press