recursive emulation (was: IBM 7074 and then some: "Systems we love" conference)

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 06:15:19 CST 2017

On 24 January 2017 at 18:46, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. <jecel at merlintec.com> wrote:
> This allowed us to figure out that an 8 MHz ARM2 would be able to
> run PC programs at nearly the speed of a 4.77 MHz 8088. Though there
> were much faster PCs at the time, the original configuration was still
> being sold and was popular enough that this would have been considered
> usable.

It was usable enough that Acorn sold a PC Emulator for the Acorn
A305/A310 -- the original, first-series Archimedes with 8MHz ARM2
chips.

E.g.

http://web.archive.org/web/20021213050437/www.maxandanna.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pcem.htm

I used it on my A310, in 1988/1989, to do real work in QuickBasic 3.0,
brought home from the office.

It ran at something around 2-3MHz as equivalent to an original 8088
PC, but with a much faster screen and hard disk, so overall
performance was good and quite usable for MS-DOS stuff.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com