ps2 memory - with weird square silver IBM Circuit packaged memory on the sti

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 19:56:02 CST 2017

There was also a period of time when an earthquake in the far east
knocked out some of the fabs there, and the supply of memory got so bad
that some manufacturers had to stop shipping systems, but IBM just
switched to using their own memory.  It also went the other way too, the
send generation CPU for the RT (6150/51) the Advanced processor or
ROMP-C was designed to use IBM memory modules in aluminum cans, but all
of the supply was going to higher margin products like mainframes, so in
the end a lot of the CPUs where shipped without the 4MB of memory being
populated.  I was supporting a project that as using 6150 workstations
at the time and upgraded several machines from the original NMOS
processor to the CMOS enhanced processor.

Paul.