ODEC/ Data 100/ LC8-P (M8365) PDP8 printer interface schematics

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Mon Jan 30 09:28:52 CST 2017

On 01/29/2017 10:27 PM, Jon Elson wrote:

> I think we had an Odec chain printer that another group
> gave us to use on our VAX.  I hacked it up to shut off the
> chain motor when it wasn't printing, and then restart it
> when print data came in. It had a HORRIBLE habit of
> running the ribbon off the track and crumpling the edges.
> It had some bars with 45 degree angles that folded the
> ribbon over to make a 90 degree change in direction to the
> reels.  When the ribbon was just a little used, it lost
> some stiffness and started folding and rolling over the
> edges.  Then the chain would grab it and make a mess.
> Otherwise, it was a REALLY nice printer.

Yes, I looked up a picture online, and I am pretty sure the
thing we had was indeed an Odec like in the brochure.  If it
hadn't been for that horrible ribbon mechanism, it would
have been a REALLY good printer.  You can just barely make
out the ribbon path in the picture with the gate folded open.

Jon