tape baking

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Jul 2 13:34:34 CDT 2017

I recently read 300-odd RX-50 diskettes. All but 10-15 read, many w/o
error, some with lots of errors. I'm guessing that baking won't help the
few that didn't read since they weren't stuck to the lining of the
diskette...

What's the theory behind baking floppies? For tapes it makes sense to help
with self-adhesion, but what's the benefit to single surfaced media that
doesn't overlap?

Warner