Tools, Craftsman (Was: Model M case screws

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Mon Jul 3 00:12:55 CDT 2017

On 7/2/2017 3:02 PM, Pete Lancashire via cctalk wrote:
> For me new tools pretty much come for European companies, from estate
> sales,
An old fellow pulled into an astronomy related material swap meet next
to me several years ago, opened his trunk while I was standing there and
pulled out one of the medium sized toolboxes.   Turned out to be full of
tools, all old Craftsman.  He was going to sell them catch as catch can,
but i asked how much, and he said $50 for the thing, including the case.

Very good stuff with made in USA.  I ever abuse tools to the point of
replacement for that reason, and none of these have had any problems.  I
also have my fathers which he bought when my mother worked @ 15th &
Cleveland in Kansas City, Mo from 46 to 51, so I suspect those are
pretty good.

Sears refused to take a verified credit card I had when I moved from KC
to Irvine, CA in 1975, so I could buy a bed the first night in a new
house, and I told them if they wouldn't take the card, I'd never set
foot in a Sears store ever again.  Made good on my word.  No excuse
including the store manager and the local store credit manager standing
there eye ball to eyeball.

I had verified that it was good anywhere in the US prior to leaving with
the intent of doing this thru channels, and I never bothered to follow
up.  Put me sleeping on the rug, and there is no more interest in the
operation.  Typical of the customer service they have that doomed them
which started prior to that.