tape baking

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 5 00:44:02 CDT 2017

I used a DECstation 2100 (MIPS architecture) running Ultrix. I used dd (block size 10240) to recover the tapes to a file on the 2100's disk. I ftp'd the dd file onto my normal PC for safekeeping, but I extracted the files from the dd file actually on the 2100. The tapes had been written using the "dump" utility and I just passed the dd file to the "restore" command to do the extraction. I didn't use SIMH to create a tap file but presume I could do so, now that I have the dd file.

I had wanted to find a way to clone tapes using VMS (I have more hardware running VMS than I do that runs Ultrix or any other flavour of Unix), but I suspect that the dd route is the only easy way to do it.

Regards

Rob