Through-hole desoldering (was Re: IBM 5110 - Where does the character set live? And other questions.)

Peter Cetinski pete at pski.net
Thu Jul 13 06:59:53 CDT 2017

> On Jul 13, 2017, at 3:31 AM, Eric Smith via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>

> 2) vacuum desoldering gun: lots of people liked the Hakko 808, but it's
> discontiued. The Hakko FR-300 looks like a reasonable replacement, and
> sells for around $310. The drawback compared to the vacuum desoldering
> station with pencil tool is that the handpiece is much heavier and bulkier
> since it contains the vacuum pump; this is probably not an issue if you
> don't use it to do a lot of desoldering in a single session.

I recently purchased a Hakko FR300 for $259, which is my first experience with a decent desoldering tool.  I can’t recommend it enough if you have a fair amount of desoldering to perform.  Compared to solder wicking or a solder sucker it really is a world of difference.  It’s one of the best tool investments I’ve ever made.