Sperry UTS 40 on Ebay - Statesboro, Georgia

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Fri Jul 28 01:52:17 CDT 2017

On 7/27/2017 10:31 PM, Dominique Carlier via cctalk wrote:
> Oh, I have a Sperry Univac UTS 40 and its 8-inch floppy disk
> subsystem. I love this machine but it's been down for 15 years now. I
> suspect a simple PSU problem but it would be the opportunity to have
> possible rare parts.
> However I reside in Belgium. I sent a mail to the seller to know his
> price for a shipment.
>
> A photo of my dear beast :
>
> http://www.actingmachines.com/img/photos/24_big.jpg
>

> On 27/07/2017 23:58, Pete Lancashire via cctalk wrote:
>> No association with the seller, just passing the info on ....
>>
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/142458218680

I did a project for C-Itoh / Sperry years ago to do an interface board
to run a CI-300 / 600 / 900 on a mainframe, I think the 1100.

The interface channel the mainframe used could be fitted to the UTS-40,
so they had shipped a system as you describe to us with CPM, so I could
print to the channel interface for testing my interface board / firmware.

I had to run the channel to pull the lines of information, and translate
them to the line printer in more or less "normal" streaming format.  I
also had a serial channel added so you could flip an option and run from
the channel to any serial port, so there was no need to burn up paper.

The system was quite solid, built like a tank.

At the time TWA was still operating, and with an appropriate keyboard,
they used the UTS-40 for airline res terminals.  When they were moved to
Saber when Pars was killed off, there was a temporary surge of the
terminal boxes, but the keyboards would have been a pain to use, and
there was no simple way to add the 8" drive subsystem you have.

Hope you fix it, it is an impressive CP/M system.  representative of
"anything worth doing is worth overdoing" as far as CP/M.  So much
hardware that never gets touched when running that.

If you happen to have drawings or pointer to such (if on bitsavers as I
write, I have not checked) I'd be interested of stashing such in case
one ever drops in my lap.

thanks
Jim