RL02 to image file

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 11:13:06 CDT 2017

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Guy Sotomayor Jr via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> My setup is an 11/70 running BSD 2.11.  I “dd” the RL pack to a file on
> one of the file systems (I have the equivalent of 4 RP06 drives) and then
> ftp it to where I want it (since the 11/70 is on my network…actually at one
> point it was on the internet where anybody could log-in).  I can also do
> that with RK05’s and RX02’s.  ;-)

If I had a large setup like that, I would totally do it that way.  If
I could get the DWBUA working in my 8300 and add the DEBNT, I might
use that rig (with various Unibus interfaces).

What I have handy is a Qbus KDF11-based box and some smallish Unibus
hardware (BA11-L with either KD11-D or KD11-E).  Disk is no problem on
the MicroPDP, but I don't really have a lot of Unibus disk larger than
RL02.

This is why I'm looking at faster alternatives to vtserver.  Something
that fits on a floppy or TU58 image and has a total in-memory
footprint of 56Kbytes is fantastic, but something that fits in
248kbytes is essential.  I have  a number of DR11-C and DRV11 modules,
so that's a totally viable method.  I am not blessed with an abundance
of Ethernet in my DEC collection.

-ethan