rectangular sense core vs. diagonal

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Wed Jun 7 12:01:36 CDT 2017

On 06/07/2017 09:12 AM, william degnan via cctech wrote:
> Where there any computers that used a "rectangular sense" core RAM?
> Whirlwind core is diagonal.   This page describes the differences/evolution
> of the sense line.
>
> More: http://ed-thelen.org/comp-hist/Byte/76jul.html
>
> Were rectangular core planes used in any commercial/government computer
> that saw production activity, presumably the period 1953-1959?    Whirlwind
> is known for diagonal sense planes, but was there a brief period when the
> core was "rectangular sense"  I know core was added to Whirlwind as an
> upgrade, it did not launch into production with core.  (right?)

I think IBM LCS on the mid-scale 360s were rectangular.  I
assume by rectangular you mean that all wires were on a
rectangular grid, parallel to the select wires.  The google
article on core memory shows a CDC 6600 core plane that
shows no sign of diagonal wires.

I think many old core planes with big cores ran all wires on
a square grid, as there was plenty of window area in the
cores.  When they went to smaller cores and combining the
sense/inhibit winding, then the diagonal wire threaded more
easily through the remaining window after the X and Y select
wires were in place.

Jon