rectangular sense core vs. diagonal

Mike Stein mhs.stein at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 09:35:46 CDT 2017

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christian Corti via cctalk" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2017 4:08 AM
Subject: Re: rectangular sense core vs. diagonal

> On Wed, 7 Jun 2017, Paul Koning wrote:
>>> How is ECS constructed?   I fooled with a lot of it back in the day, but
>>> never got a good look at the core planes.
>>
>> I'd love to know.  I never saw the insides of ECS.  There are some
>> documents on Bitsavers but none that I have seen show the ECS memory
>> subsystem itself, certainly not at the circuit level.
>
> I got two ECS modules, I put pictures of them on my FB album. I've
> also put them on our server right now, at
> ftp://computermuseum.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/cdc/ecs/
>
> The core planes are *huge*, about 4000cm² !
>
> Christian
Another reason why things were better in "The Good Old Days":

While removing a (spring-loaded) microSD card from a tablet yesterday my fingernail slipped and 32 Gigabytes of data shot out and disappeared somewhere among the dust bunnies behind my desk; that could never have happened with these core modules!