RC11 manuals / schematics online?

Mattis Lind mattislind at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 02:11:15 CDT 2017

> On 6/8/2017 2:22 AM, Mattis Lind via cctech wrote:
> > I happened to find a RS64 / RC11 combo (missing the PSU though). The
> > previous owner was an ex DEC field engineer that himself got it in the
> > beginning of the seventies. It is used but has the shipping lock on the
> > motor axis.
> >
> > Maybe the chances to get this working isn't that high especially since
> the
> > donator told me about all sorts of problems that happened to them. As far
> > as he remembered there were quite some problems with these RS64 and the
> > PSUs.
> >
> > http://i.imgur.com/jsgpF6v.jpg
> >
> > Anyway. Does someone has an online scan for the RC11 controller manual
> > and/or schematics?
> >
> > /Mattis
> >

> I have scanned my RC11 and RS64 manuals.  The text is generally 400dpi,
> the drawings 600dpi (including drawings inside the maintenance manuals).
>
> Like most stuff that I scan that is likely to be of interest to
> bitsavers, I store it in the following directory tree which mimics what
> they use.  My files can be found at:
>
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2v4WRwISEQRWWFFdVpCZWFTZEU
>
> These particular scans are now in the (new) directories:
>
> .../pdf/dec/disc   (For the RS64)
> .../pdf/dec/unibus (For the RC11)

Thanks a  lot for the manuals and schematics. Will be really helpful when I
get to work with RC11/RS64.

You don't happen to have the diagnostic listings as well? I found a ZRCAB0
 and ZRCBB0 diagnostic but not any matching listing. Haven't found a ZRCC
diag as well.

So, if you have diagnostics listings and matching binaries or just listings
that would be very interesting as well.

> Note the drawing updates for the RS64 to take it from revision H to
> revision K (and perhaps L - but that part was written over in ink on the
> copy).
>
> Also, note that manual
>
> DEC-00-HRS64-E-D_RS64_disk_file_maintenance_manual
>
> Has a page that was placed in the document by Professor Marleau of UW
> (Wisconsin) Electrical Engineering.  It appears to be in regard to a
> manual repair undertaken on the RS64 (which is the very same drive that
> is in my collection).
>
> Also perhaps noteworthy that this RS64's "twin" which resided in the UW
> Computer Systems Lab was at one point "resurrected" by flipping the disk
> upside down.

Then one definitely need the track writer I guess. But it is good to know
that it is possible to flip the disk if it is in bad condition.

> JRJ

/Mattis