dd-equivalent for VMS

Richard Loken rlloken at telus.net
Sat Jun 17 10:35:42 CDT 2017

On Sat, 17 Jun 2017, Rob Jarratt via cctalk wrote:

>> I have cloned drives that way for VMS systems.  Backup/image is the tool
>> for that.
>
> So have I, but it doesn't work for tapes. Unless someone knows a trick
> that I have not discovered?

No, backup won't do what you want.  Backup is designed to save and restore
Files-11 on disk file systems and requires access to index.sys and
bitmap.sys which translates to mean that it is not doing a sequential block
by block copy like "dd" does.  A common use for backup/image was to backup a
disk and then restore it back to the disk to eliminate fragmentation, that
would not be possible with a raw block by block copy.

--
   Richard Loken VE6BSV         	  : "...underneath those tuques we wear,
   Athabasca, Alberta Canada       : our heads are naked!"