iMac ethernet connection quit - help?

Tapley, Mark mtapley at swri.edu
Mon Jun 26 14:53:17 CDT 2017

On Jun 26, 2017, at 10:01 AM, Liam Proven via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 26 June 2017 at 16:44, Tapley, Mark via cctech <cctech at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>> All,
>>         having problems with my iMac G3. Ethernet stopped working, but still shows some signs of life. Any suggestions welcome!

Liam,
	thanks for the response! Note, ethernet *was* working and then stopped, with no obvious action on my part. That said, answers in-line below.

> Some superficially odd questions...
>
> What OS is it running?

Mac OS 10.4.11, classic installed.

> Is the firmware up to date?

I don’t know the answer to that. I got it used, and don’t think I have updated it.Is there a good way to tell?

> If the firmware isn't, you *will* experience problems with OS X. If it
> is running OS X, you can't update the firmware -- you need Classic
> MacOS 9 to do that. :-(

I probably can still have my 9.x install dask - I’ll look - and my 10.4 disk. I”m pretty sure there are things I’ll lose doing 2 re-installs, but maybe I can back them up to a USB memory to restore.

> Have you tried a different hub?

Not yet, but will do, hopefully tonight. Does direct (ethernet) connection to another Mac, sharing its wi-fi to computers using ethernet, count in this context? But I also have a hub built into a retired (DSL) modem which I’m thinking about installing there to free up the 8-port hub; this can motivate me to do that sooner.

One other thing I forgot to mention: iPv6 broke this machine’s internet a few months back; so I disabled it through the System Preferences check-box, and it came back up immediately on ipV4. Same thing happened at the same time to the PowerBook G4 (also on 10.4.11) so I attributed that to the service provider (and they actually notified us that they were changing to v6).