Tektronix Terminal Emulation

Douglas Taylor dj.taylor4 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 11 11:39:19 CST 2017

On 3/11/2017 12:08 PM, Torfinn Ingolfsen via cctalk wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 5:14 PM, Douglas Taylor via cctalk
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>> I like using the laptop as a console because I can log my terminal session
>> while I'm installing software, etc.  Kermit on debian linux comes without
>> any terminal emulation for some reason.
> In general, kermit under Linux (and other unix-like operating systems)
> expect you to start kermit from the terminal emulator of your choice,
> and "inherits" whatever terminal emulation you have started it from.
> FWIW, I've successfully done vt100 with kermit started from xterm.
This is one of the things I will revisit. I'm still trying to compile
programs on the vax that are designed to plot directly to a tek terminal
connected to a serial port.  PGPLOT has a very nicely constructed set of
*.com files for VMS but some of the routines are for DECW$.  I can't run
DecWindows on a MicroVax II with 11MB of memory, so I loaded the basic
support files for DecWindows.  The problem before was that PGPLOT wanted
to link to some of the DECW libraries and use some of the DECW header
files.  I hope they are there now.  We will see.

>>   One of the things that I tried was
>> running kermit inside the xterm window, I was able to connect to the Vax but
>> was unable to test the graphics portion.
> Are you sure that your xterm has Tektronix graphics emlation compiled
> in / enabled?
> I haven't tested graphics emulation yet, because I don't have a
> vintage machine that supports it.
Yes, xterm on debian linux works fine.  I'm trying to test exactly that,
run programs on a vintage computer that produce graphs on an emulated
terminal.