help needed installing USB to Serial Cable for ADTPro

Adrian Graham witchy at binarydinosaurs.co.uk
Sun Mar 12 04:28:22 CDT 2017

On 12/03/2017 01:52, "Joe Giliberti via cctalk" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> Not great news :(
> The computer recognized the serial port on COM5 and ADTPro says that
> it is connected. I am using the null modem cable from RetroFloppy for
> the //c and the Radioshack cable with the Prolific chipset (I switched
> over to this one because I thought this problem was caused by the
> other cable.) I set the working directory in ADT where the DSK files
> are and set the baud rate in Windows, ADT on the PC and ADT on the //c
> all to 19200. When I boot up the //c, I select (R)ecieve, punch in the
> filename, hit enter and...Host Timeout.
> Any idea what might not be working now?
>
> I really appreciate everyone's help

You can check if the PC is talking to the //c by doing a bare metal
speediboot - this will check the comms are working:

http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/bootstrap.html

Can you do a lookback test on the USB adapter by looping pins 2&3 then using
PuTTY to talk to itself?

--
Adrian/Witchy
Binary Dinosaurs creator/curator