AC magnetic field strengths

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Wed Mar 15 12:01:39 CDT 2017

I bought an AlphaLabs GM-2 Gaussmeter for another project, and measured the AC magnetic
field strength touching these devices yesterday, since I really didn't have any idea beyond
order of magnitude what they might be

Handheld tape head demagnetizer: 40 Gauss
GC Elec 9317 CRT degausing coil: 70 Gauss
Audiolab TD-3 desktop bulk eraser: 1000 Gauss
Inmac 7180 or
RS 44-233A handheld bulk tape erasers: 2000 Gauss

also the DC field of a 1/4" button super magnet like on the
backs of clip on badges is about 3000 Gauss