booting os/8

Don North north at alum.mit.edu
Wed Mar 22 19:03:40 CDT 2017

On 3/22/2017 4:25 PM, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> Look here:   http://www.vcfed.org/forum/blog.php?12663-AK6DN   for info on my Arduino based RX02 emulator using a microSD card.
> Works on RX11/RXV11/RX8E as RX01, RX211/RXV21/RX28 as RX02. Passes DEC hardware diagnostics.
>
> Reinhard has done an FPGA based RL01/2 drive emulator, see:   http://www.pdp11gy.com/indexE.html#file:///E:/homepage/indexE.html
>
> Don
> aka AK6DN
>
> I saw that.  I ordered a set of boards from OSHPark today.  Once they come I will see about ordering the
> parts and building at least one.  I may wish I had more controillers. :-)
>
> I will take a look at the FPGA solution.  But I still have to ask, is there any reason why it could not be done
> with an Arduimo like the RX emulator?  I haven't researched it deeply, but I never thought the RL drive
> itnerface was all that complex.
>
> bill

If you are still interested I still have blank PCBs for $10 each (either 2n7K or
8641 based), plus Sparkfun microSD adapters $5 ea, and then shipping.

OSHpark is good (I use them for proto) but it will cost you something like $75
for three boards since they are 4 layer. Let me know if you are interested.

The RL0x interface is very different and requires some kind of high speed signal
decoder to implement (Reinhard did it in an FPGA plus an embedded CPU).

The RX0x interface is driven by the drive as the master, so no high speed logic
is required on the Arduino side, just bit banging I/O ports.

Don