Re: Extracting files off “unknown” 8 inch disks. Any thoughts…

Huw Davies huw.davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Sat May 6 19:43:00 CDT 2017

> On 7 May 2017, at 06:21, Jerry Weiss via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> I stand corrected.  It appears that the handwritten label has a ODS1 style numerical UIC.
>
> The printed directory may not actually be from the floppy media itself.  It is
> hierarchical.   So perhaps it is from some ODS2 media that is holding the files
> that are being transferred to/from the Floppy.

That’s certainly the way I read it.

The SAVE command most probably is a locally written command or DCL procedure invoked by a symbol that does the magic of copying the files to the floppy.

The OpenVMS EXCHANGE command is the most likely tool used to transfer the data. As it’s name implies, it is designed to move data to and from foreign systems (where foreign in this context is most often a PDP-11 :-))

Huw Davies           | e-mail: Huw.Davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Melbourne            | "If soccer was meant to be played in the
Australia            | air, the sky would be painted green"