BBS software for the PDP 11

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Thu May 18 00:47:47 CDT 2017

On 5/17/2017 5:45 PM, devin davison via cctalk wrote:
> I have both a pdp 11/34 and 11/23 and am trying to find some bbs software
> to run. Preferably something that will run under an os and not monopolize
> the whole machine.
>
> Any suggestions? i have not had much luck finding anything.
>
> --Devin
You might troll for copies of Boardwatch magazine.  It was the center of
the BBS universe (in some people's minds, there were others who despised
it).

I do recall vaguely people saying they were running larger systems, but
it was mostly people who wanted to be friendly to the technical talent
they were getting and have support machines for companies. They would
hire 18 or 20 somethings, who would be able to log on to a BBS find
files, etc., but take forever to figure out how to get into some of the
crap systems that were around that were not BBS like interfaces.

Of course that was rare, but was around for businesses with the use case
to need that sort of patch / support.

http://www.bbsdays.com/people/jack_rickard/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boardwatch

If someone had done such, it might have been in boardwatch if anywhere.
I tossed tons of those in previous moves, so can't help with that.  Plus
as has been stated it would have been rare, and looking  thru paper
copies would be a long process and probably turn up little.

hopefully if you find Boardwatch digitally somewhere, or information
derived from there you can turn up some things.

thanks
Jim