BBS software for the PDP 11

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Fri May 19 14:39:56 CDT 2017

On 5/19/2017 3:23 AM, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
> On 18 May 2017 at 17:16, allison via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>> All a DOS BBS was  was a user interface that provided security by requiring
>> user/password
>> and limiting the commands usable.  The easy was to do that was a version of
>> the CMD module
>> rewritten to not have things like RMDIR and DEL.
>
> I was never into the BBS scene, because outside North America, local
> phone calls cost money. So you paid for every minute you were online
> -- quite a lot.
I have news for you. (maybe) From 1976 until it petered out, the phone
time cost a lot too.  $200 or more a month at times.

Also a stupid charge for local calls where the PUC's didn't stand up to
the Bell system or successors and call bullshit to the charges. Calling
across a few blocks could cost a lot and you wouldn't know it unless you
were a phone nut due to zone usage metering.

Only with competition in the mid 80s did US long distance start to fall,
and now with the internet and voice over IP have the need to pay for
most such long distance gone away for small users.

I put in a couple of T1 based systems for large offices though as
recently as 7 years ago, and commercially the POTS or digital carrier
phone numbers carry a huge toll.
thanks
Jim