KDF 8189 processor board foobared (ebay warning)

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Sat May 20 03:59:15 CDT 2017

I just ran across a sale on epay by a guy who thought you could pull the
processor chip off the board and sell each in separate auctions.

I couldn't find the processor from the huge number of gold scrap chip
auctions he had, but he said it (or the other) chip(s) for the board
were listed.

I think giving him the benefit of the doubt, he thought that the two
were separable like motherboards and processors are now day.  Worst case
he was just an unfortunate idiot that destroyed the board.

I sent him an email telling him the value I place on it (tested) and
suggested that he think of older boards as the full components to be
kept together unless he wants to destroy the board, or knows what he is
doing breaking them up.  Of course on old Qbus and the like boards, one
does have some components that are more valuable if you break up the
board, and pull "unobtainium" chips.  But pulling out the KDF processor
isn't one of them in general.

I just bought a KDJ Jaws chip for a "round 2it" project to try to get it
running, as I archived a PDP11 "Hack" page indicating how to get one
running on a proto board with minimal hardware.

I don't know if you could do that with the KDF, but that isn't what this
guy is doing.

thanks
Jim