Teletype 43

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue May 23 22:45:10 CDT 2017

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 9:20 PM, Jim Brain via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> On 5/23/2017 1:07 AM, dave.g4ugm at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> You probably need a null modem cable.
>
> I had one (and used it), but not all null modem cables are evidently the
> same :-)  I soldered up a loopback as you suggested, and the unit dropped
> into DATA MODE on startup.

Superb!

> The printer ribbon has less life left in it than I anticipated, but a list
> member is helping me, so it should be good to go after a deep cleaning and a
> light oiling.

Back in the day, there was a re-inking product, the Mac Inker.  Since
those are not easy to dig up now, what options are there?  Also,
because there's often plenty of pigment, what oil/solvents are good to
wrest some of that pigment back out of a dried ribbon?

-ethan