Cleaning and Restoring a Badly Corroded PSU

Maciej W. Rozycki macro at linux-mips.org
Wed Oct 25 21:10:01 CDT 2017

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017, Rob Jarratt via cctalk wrote:

> Actually I didn't say they have leaked, but I do say that they could only
> have leaked from the bottom, but you can't tell. This does appear to be what
> happened to some of the capacitors I had on the other PSU I repaired
> recently, although again I can't be sure. However there *is* something on
> the board to which dirt and little shards from the heat sinks appears to be
> sticking at least a bit, but perhaps it is just dirt that has absorbed
> humidity. Certainly the board has been in some kind of humid environment,
> the case itself is quite rusty in places. So it is probably more like
> someone else suggested, and not capacitor leakage but a humid/damp storage
> environment.

 This Nichicon PL 4700µF/10V part as well as all the Chemi-Con SXF parts
have certainly leaked in almost all the H7826 PSUs I have (which have been
the worst in this respect), and consequently the PCB has become sticky in
the output filter area.  Beware that in addition to the output filters
there's another SXF part just next to the input filter capacitor; it's
visible on one of your photos, next to the lightning bolt sticker.

 FWIW,

  Maciej