looking at buying a pocket PC / PDA

Evan Koblentz cctalk at snarc.net
Sat Oct 28 15:01:58 CDT 2017

>> I am looking at buying a pocket PC / PDA, so I can write idea/notes when I
>> am away from my computer

Hi Tom.

Welcome to 1997. :-)

>> the [Psion 3](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psion_Series_3) and [Psion
>> 5](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psion_Series_5) look like good options,
>> but i read about the hinge/screen issues
>>
>> I am leaning more towards the Psion 5 because of the easy of getting
>> accessories,
>> but it has more things to break
>>
>> but I am wounding about other options?
>
> "Wondering"? :-)

Tom - Here's the dilemma. The pocket-sized DOS computers (HP-200, Atari
Portfolio, etc.) are too small for their keyboards to be useful. The
larger ones (all the Windows CE stuff that Liam mentioned, along with
the awesome Psion Series 7/Psion Netbook) have good keyboards and
screens, but they're fragile and kind of exotic for modern purposes.

For me, the solution is modern produts. I use a high-end Android
smartphone and a low-end Chromebook. Either one is excellent when I need
a quick/simple note-taking device. With the phone I use the "Google
Keep" app for quite notes/lists. With the Chromebook I use an offline
app just called "Text" because it's extremely fast and has good options.