The origin of the phrases ATA and IDE [WAS:RE: formatting MFM drives on a IBM PC]

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Mon Oct 2 10:28:52 CDT 2017

On 01/10/2017 20:46, Tom Gardner via cctalk wrote:

> As best I can tell WD began publically using the term IDE for its drives sometime around 1990

Nope.  I recall conversations with a small-scale developer in the UK who
was creating addons and accessories for the company I worked for (Acorn
Computers) in 1987-1988, and he was touting IDE as best improvement
(because simpler and cheaper to interface) on ST506/ST412 interface
drives for the hard drive upgrades he was about to market.  I recall
having to ask what IDE stood for, at the time.  So it must have been in
common use, at least amongst developers, by then.  By 1989 there were
more people using "IDE" - by that name - than anything else in the
markets I was involved in.

--
Pete
Pete Turnbull