The origin of the phrases ATA and IDE [WAS:RE: formatting MFM drives on a IBM PC]

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Oct 3 14:06:15 CDT 2017

On 10/03/2017 11:40 AM, Phil Blundell via cctalk wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-10-03 at 18:56 +0100, Pete Turnbull via cctalk wrote:
>> So there's clear proof that at least three companies in the UK were
>> using the term IDE before (or at least by) 1990.  I never heard it
>> called anything else in that timeframe.
>
> That pretty much matches my recollection also.

I'll have to dig out my own code ca. 1988 to see what I used in
comments.  I may not have even taken IDE into account as I already had
ESDI code handled--and, from a purely PC-side interface aspect, there's
not a lot of difference; i.e., both respond in the same way to the
IDENTIFY command.

But basically, the question boils down to "Vass you dere, shollie?"

--Chuck