The origin of the phrases ATA and IDE [WAS:RE: formatting MFM drives on a IBM PC]

Alan Perry aperry at snowmoose.com
Tue Oct 3 14:10:47 CDT 2017

On 10/3/17 11:40 AM, Phil Blundell via cctalk wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-10-03 at 18:56 +0100, Pete Turnbull via cctalk wrote:
>> So there's clear proof that at least three companies in the UK were
>> using the term IDE before (or at least by) 1990.  I never heard it
>> called anything else in that timeframe.
> That pretty much matches my recollection also.
>
> The earliest use I can find of the "AT Attachment" terminology is the
> X3T9 project proposal from late 1990 which eventually led to the
> formation of the X3T10 group:
>
> http://www.t10.org/ftp/x3t9.2/document.90/90-058r2.txt

As I previously posted, these minutes refer one of two CAM Committee
meeting in May or Jun 1989 where it was announced that the "ATA
document" was nearly complete:

http://www.t10.org/ftp/x3t9.2/document.89/89-075r0.txt

I have found two independent sources that indicate a first draft of the
document appeared in Mar 1989.

alan