The origin of the phrases ATA and IDE [WAS:RE: formatting MFM drives on a IBM PC]

Alan Perry aperry at snowmoose.com
Tue Oct 3 19:03:04 CDT 2017

On 10/3/17 3:57 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
>>> The earliest use I can find of the "AT Attachment" terminology is the
>>> X3T9 project proposal from late 1990 which eventually led to the
>>> formation of the X3T10 group:
>>>
>>> http://www.t10.org/ftp/x3t9.2/document.90/90-058r2.txt
>
> On Tue, 3 Oct 2017, Alan Perry via cctalk wrote:
>> As I previously posted, these minutes refer one of two CAM Committee
>> meeting in May or Jun 1989 where it was announced that the "ATA
>> document" was nearly complete:
>> http://www.t10.org/ftp/x3t9.2/document.89/89-075r0.txt
>> I have found two independent sources that indicate a first draft of
>> the document appeared in Mar 1989.
>
> We would need to compare that with WD internal discussions, OR
> compare public discussions.
> ATA committee existed, and was working on a standard; then WD sold
> products; then ATA standard was formally released.
>

> Comparing "FIRST"s in development, is not the same as comparing
> "FIRST"s in release or production.
>
> There are plenty of other races, where one was first to be built, but
> a different one was first to be available.
>

> My guess of the timeline, is that MANY people wanted the same idea.
> People in the standards committee(s) started to discuss it, while some
> drive engineers started to build them.
> Were members of committee talking about it before WD spoke up?
> Were WD engineers working on it before committee mentioned it?
> Yes, to both.

I suggest that you read the narratives at the two links that I posted in
my subsequent posting.

WD initialy made the controller boards. As noted elsewhere, they did not
make HDDs themselves at that point. They shopped it around in late 1984
and got interest from Compaq. According to the document that I am
referencing, WD did a IDE-to-ST506 board that was used with Miniscribe
10M and 20M ST506 drives in Compaq Portable IIs (announced Feb 1986).
Compaq and WD also worked with CDC to use the Wren II HH drive in the
Compaq Deskpro 286. I found separate reports confirming the Miniscribe
HDD in the Portable II and the Wren II in a Compaq Deskpro 386 in 1986.
There were also a number of Conner IDE HDDs (CP340 family) in 1987.
These were all products released before the SCSI-2 CAM committee was
formed. However, I have not found any contemporary documentation for any
of them, so I can't determine whether the interface is called IDE in any
of them.

alan