The SPERRY UNIVAC UTS 40 system + 8406 double-sided diskette subsystem : Restoration

Dominique Carlier dce at skynet.be
Wed Oct 4 06:34:51 CDT 2017

Hi All !

I started checking / replacing all the capacitors - tantalum and
electrolytic - on the CPU board saved from the US. Until now I don't
found the guilty.
The CPU board of the USA is a horror to troubleshoot, because of the
acid the battery that changed the nature of solder tin and some kind of
resin characteristic of these PCBs, it is difficult to desolder the
components. I wonder if I would do better to repair my own CPU board
because this one is finally in a better state in comparison.

What is raging is that these two types of breakdownswere perfectly well
identified by Sperry Univac. According to the UTS 20 manual :

- Blank screen and long tone (the breakdown of my CPU board) : I'm
supposed to report this information to my Sperry Univac customer
services, point, no explanation

- SERIAL I/O CHANNEL B failure (the breakdown of the CPU board from US) :
Their advice = Corrective action: none, and I'm supposed to transmit the
code "3560U-0010" (still to my Sperry Univac customer services).

Zero information, nothing, it is raging. One or two clues to orient my
research would be so precious...

I have the corresponding manual but for the UTS 40 somewhere lost in my
attic. I will find it, I do not have the hope to find a better
description but I must be sure.
On this subject, I would like to scan and share it because it does not
exist on the internet.

Dominique