The origin of the phrases ATA and IDE [WAS:RE: formatting MFM drives on a IBM PC]

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Wed Oct 4 20:32:19 CDT 2017

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> Why on earth would WD have anything to do with it?  They supplied the
> controller, but not the drives.  I used to have an early Maxtor ~50MB
> 3.5" drive with bugs in the interface.  Nowhere did they give any nod to WD.

I was thinking in terms of their wholesale marketing TO the drive
companies.  When they wanted to peddle their chipset to Maxtor, etc. what
materials did they send?
I assumed that WD was the first to produce a controller chipset.
Or was WD even the maker of the controller chips on the drive?

You're right, though, that WD may be totally irrelevant.
Surely, it would not have been hard for any of the drive makers to start
making their own.

When did any of the drive makers start saying "IDE" on their drive spec
sheets?  (I've already make my rant about them not putting any of the
information on the drive that was necessary for end users to use the
drive)