The origin of the phrases ATA and IDE [WAS:RE: formatting MFM drives on a IBM PC]

Rich Alderson RichA at livingcomputers.org
Thu Oct 5 13:39:44 CDT 2017

From: Chuck Guzis
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2017 1:46 PM

> As an aside, I picked up a 1986 Wren II full-height manual that discussed the
> drive and its various interfaces.  Sadly, IDE isn't one, but SCSI is referred
> to as "SASI Subset"; i.e. "SCSI (SASI subset)"

I believe that you're reading that backwards.  What it says is that this is a
SCSI-compatible device which employs only the SASI subset of SCSI commands, not
that "SCSI" is a subset of "SASI".

> That concurs with my observation that SCSI was initially an Apple convention.
> I can recall conversations about SASI vs. Apple SCSI.

And like Fred, I don't believe that it does any such thing.

                                                                Rich

Rich Alderson
Sr. Systems Engineer
Living Computers: Museum + Labs