formatting MFM drives on a IBM PC

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 19:12:22 CDT 2017

On 09/27/2017 09:59 AM, Ethan via cctalk wrote:
> The idea of IDE, as my understanding, is the controller that existed as an
> ISA card was moved onto the actual drive, and then what became the
> controller was mostly just extending the ISA bus over to the drive.

I actually have an IDE "controller" somewhere which is just a tiny PCB with
an ISA connector on one side and a 40 pin IDE connector on the other, along
with a couple of ICs (presumably buffers/latches, but I don't know without
finding it).  It's somewhat unusual, given that IDE ports were normally
included as part of multi-I/O boards, or (a little later) often
incorporated into the motherboard.