Help on a 1998 Award BIOS chip

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 12:09:40 CDT 2018

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 12:08 AM, CuriousMarc via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> After battling for days with a Dolch 65 that developed the two-tone
> beep-of-death on boot, I finally found that it's just my BIOS ROM that has
> gone bad. The BIOS happens to be an Award BIOS, says "Award 1998 PCI/PNP
> 686" on the chip. It's a square chip with pins on the side.
>
> Photo here:
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OtZ1AU0Hac8RlzTgbgCY4z_qcMlGWXu1
>
> So I thought I might just ask. Anyone has a dead Dolch 65 motherboard from
> which I could steal a BIOS chip. The board is actually an Advantech CI6BM-B1
> industrial single board computer.
>
> Or alternately, can someone identify what kind of ROM or EEPROM that likely
> is, and provide advice on how to read the data from a good chip (I have
> another good chip in another Dolch, that's how I found out what my problem
> was), and program a similar chip.
>
> Marc

Surely you must have a PLCC capable device programmer hidden away
somewhere in your not so secret basement lab. And if you don't have
one, why haven't you built one up from an HP-85 and some GPIO
adapters?

I also have a PAC 65. I'll have to open it up and take a look. Wish
there weren't so many screws involved. Whatever that 32-pin PLCC part
is I should be able to read its contents with my BP Microsystems
BP-1610 device programmer. I could program a new one if I had some of
the same part on hand.

-Glen