Intel HEX formats

David Griffith dave at 661.org
Thu Apr 19 14:00:49 CDT 2018

I'm trying to understand various hex formats so I can add them as output
options to minipro[1].  I went looking for existing code to convert binary
to Intel hex and found repeated copies and references to "format83.c" by
Erik Lindberg.  It seems to do what I want, but I'm unclear what "Intel
HEX 83 format" is supposed to mean.  Based on what I see at
http://www.math.purdue.edu/~wilker/misc/DEVEL/0036/A-6804/BIN2INT.C, this
program only creates hex files in the I8HEX format, as described in
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HEX.

Of course, I'm going to have to support the I16HEX and I32HEX formats too.
Based on what I find in format83.c, this shouldn't be too much trouble,
but I really want to know what "Intel HEX 83" is supposed to mean.

[1] https://github.com/vdudouyt/minipro/

--
David Griffith
dave at 661.org