Rick Dickinson, ZX Spectrum designer, RIP

Alexandre Souza alexandre.tabajara at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 08:38:54 CDT 2018

Just to add some info to the excellent Liam's post, it was a revolution in
south america too. The first computers in Brazil were ZX80 clones (TK82C is
a ZX80 clone, not a ZX81...ZX81 were cloned just in the TK85 computer) and
it was a revolution! I was a very poor guy, my father was a Militar Police
soldier and he was able to afford (in 24 installments) a TK85 for me. It
was the only affordable computer for the poor for YEARS.

Another interesting thing is that the exterior designs of sinclair
computers were never completely copied in Brazil. TK82C had a case inspired
(but not directly cloned) from ZX80. TK83 was a complete innovative design.
TK85 was a clone of the externals of the ZX spectrum (being a ZX81 clone)
BUT had vents on top and the entire enclosure is taller. TK90X uses mostly
the same enclosure of the TK85 with the vents on diagonal, and TK95 cloned
the commodore Plus4 enclosure.