TRS-80 Fragmentation

Geoffrey Oltmans oltmansg at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 08:59:32 CDT 2018

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 8:06 AM, geneb via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Apr 2018, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
>
> Then they upgraded the model 1 to reduce the cords and cables, and made
>> the Model 3.  I don't know whether the resemblance to the Northstar
>> Dimension was deliberate.
>>

> I think the primary driver for the Model III was that the Model I would no
> longer pass the FCC emission tests due to regulation changes.

I've heard this before too, which is all the more curious considering that
the original Atari 400/800 machines were hampered in their construction due
to RFI restrictions by the FCC earlier on that were relaxed later. I wonder
how much better off Atari would have been if they were able to fit a simple
metal shield instead of that crazy cast metal PCB enclosure. I have also
heard that the CRT sold for the Model I had some safety concerns? I think
that was just a rebadged RCA TV set with the tuner section removed?

Supposedly the RFI restrictions is one of the reasons that Apple didn't
include an RF modulator under the hood (and presumably TI on the 99/4(a)).