IBM 5140 - schematics?

Tony Duell ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 11:27:02 CDT 2018

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 3:57 PM, Anders Nelson via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have an IBM 5140 portable with a printer but I'd really like to use it as
> a terminal among other things. Any chance there's documentation available
> for that Centronics connector or another internal header with RS232 or
> whatever?

I've never seen schematics for this machine (and as I don't own one, I
haven't reverse-engineered it).

However there is a technical reference manual,

6280655_PC_Convertable_Technical_Reference_Volume_1_Feb86.pdf

which I think I got from Bitsavers. Page 46 and following of that .pdf
(page 2-37 and following of the original manual) give the pinout and
signals on the 'I/O Channel connector' which I think is the one you
are asking about. Looks to be pretty much the 8 bit ISA bus
signals.

It's a 72 pin connector, good luck in finding something to fit it!

-tony