Pdp 11/34 System for sale in Riverside,ca

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 12:45:28 CDT 2018

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 12:29 PM, Josh Dersch via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 8:32 AM, Wayne S via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>
>> http://www.ctonlineauctions.com/detail.asp?id=746466
>>
>> From the pictures it looks to be a fairly complete system with Kennedy
>> tape drive.
>> Has a System industries controller but doesn't appear to have a disk drive.
>>
> There is a a drive -- big old Fujitsu SMD drive below the SI controller.
> I'm guessing a M2284 or similar.

The SI9000 series are nice SMD controllers.  We had one on a CMI
interface on a VAX-11/750.  It made a 160MB Fujitsu drive look like 2
real RM03s (and would boot from the DR boot ROMs) and it made a
Fujitsu Eagle look like a fat RM05.  We had to patch DRDRIVER.EXE with
the geometry tables every time we upgraded the OS.  That one got to
VMS 4.6 and we froze it there.  All of our VMS 5 work was on 100% DEC
hardware.  The SI 9xxx box could accept multiple SMD drive interfaces
(3? 4?) and at least 2 host connections (we had one).

I know Systems Industries made Unibus and Qbus host cards too but I
never got the chance to play with them.

Looks like a fun box but I don't need another 11/34 and I live too
many states away.

-ethan