QED 933 (11/93 clone) and mystery SCSI board

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 15:06:07 CDT 2018

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 10:14 PM, Paul Anderson via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> I just found a QED 933. I've had Memtec boards before, but I don't remember
> anything about this one.

A few people bought QED-993 boards from eBay in the last few years.
For example 200688358479 or
200600166676. They are set up to use the standard 11/93 console panel,
although only 4 async ports are implemented, not 8.

While they may be faster than a real J11 CPU based board, they have
compatibility issues. The main issue is complete lack of floating
point support. I was unable to get either 2.11BSD or RSTS/E 10.1 to
run on a QED-993. Trying to build the 2.11BSD kernel without using
floating point instructions didn't help.

Maybe it is fast for running RT-11. I lost interest and never bothered
giving that a try.