DTC TakeTen media?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Aug 23 16:30:29 CDT 2018

On 08/23/2018 01:22 PM, jim stephens wrote:

> The Drivetec media was 6mb then 12mb.  The 6mb media worked well if you
> repunched the floppies as AT high density media, and when DTC died a
> huge amount was sold with instructions on how to do that, as the cost of
> media was then still high for 1.2mb media.

I've only seen the 3.3MB and 6.6MB versions.  The 3.3 was used on the
Kypro "Robie".  My 6.6 media was sent to me by the tech support fellow
at Verbatim, just before they closed their Santa Clara operation. I
already had the drive.

The Drivetec drives were also sold by DTC as their "TeamMate" series of
external drive/controller combos.

There's a German auction of the TakeTen here:

https://tinyurl.com/yax6tjvc

You can see that the drive slot is considerably thicker than a normal
floppy disk--and it's identified as a "Removable Cartridge Disk Drive".
Again, I don't recall ever seeing the cartridges.

DTC did a lot of strange things.  I first knew them as manufacturing a
sheet feeder for the Diablo Hitype printer.  I still have a few of their
disk controller cards and some SCSI controller engineering documents.

--Chuck